As Blues head into the international break, things on the pitch feel better than they have done for a while. While Blues were unable to continue their run of wins at home to Coventry, there seems to be a very positive feeling around the way the team is playing and optimism that it will improve further.
September has started well for Birmingham City. Saturday saw Blues pick up three points on the road against Preston North End against a team who hadn’t conceded a goal yet this season at a place that hasn’t been a happy hunting ground for Blues over the years. Off the pitch, the club released an update which while sparse on detail did finally confirm officially that the Maxco consortium are in the process of buying a shareholding in the club.
Transfer deadline day was a curious one for Birmingham City fans. Normally, the signing of a young talent such as Tahith Chong to a long-term contract would be met with joy and seen as evidence of longer term planning from the club. However, the failure of Blues to sign a striker despite very public links from journalists has caused more aggro than it really should have.
August has been a strange month for those of us who support Birmingham City. The month started for many with the hope that the proposed takeover of the club by Paul Richardson and Maxi Lopez would come to a quick conclusion and investment would be made in the team. As it comes to an end there’s been a palpable fear that the club would see a net outflow of players with rumours afoot of young talents being put up for sale.
It’s been three days since Paul Richardson and Maxi Lopez turned up at St Andrew’s to tell the world that they’d exchanged contracts and were to become the next owners of Birmingham City. While there has been fairly extensive reporting of their meetings with club officials, the silence from Hong Kong has continued.
The Birmingham City takeover rollercoaster kicked back into gear on Tuesday in spectacular fashion, with Paul Richardson and Maxi Lopez holding a fairly impromptu press conference in the St Andrew’s Kop car park to confirm that they were in the final stages of completing a takeover.
It’s been almost a week now since Laurence Bassini went on TalkSPORT to talk about buying Birmingham City, and I think I’ve only just caught my breath from it. I’ve said all along that Bassini is a fantasist who shouldn’t be entertained when it comes to buying a football club, but even I didn’t expect him to blow up so spectacularly live on national radio.
It’s now been over eight weeks since Blues fans were told in a Birmingham Mail / Mirror report that the takeover was “close”. Despite being told in an announcement to the HKSE three weeks ago that Vong Pech had agreed to sell his share and a “deadline” being given by Bassini of June 30, as Blues fans we still await any official confirmation that any deal has been done.
June has almost come to an end and as it stands, there is no official word that Birmingham City are any closer to being takeover. While there have been rumours about Laurence Bassini visiting B9 in the near future, there has been no direct quotes from the Bassini camp in recent days and his self-imposed deadline of tomorrow may well come and go without anything being completed.
It’s been just over a week now since the HKSE announcement from Birmingham Sports Holdings confirming that Vong Pech had agreed to sell the 21.64% stake in Birmingham City plc that he owns. Since then there’s been a fair few newspaper articles, a radio interview complete with wild promises and potentially libellous accusations – but nothing of any actual official value. What’s going on?